I wasted a few hours trying to figure out why
I couldn't link C programs to IDL on the evolve
machine. At first I thought it was because it is
running IDL 6.2, but then I got it to work on
another machine with 6.2. Then I thought it must be because
it is a 64-bit machine, but then I got it to work
on a different 64-bit machine. Then I figure it
out: for some reason IDL is running in 32-bit mode
on that machine, so it can't work with 64-bit libraries.
This is not the default behavior, so it must be
some kind of configuration error. I've written
to the sysadmin to see what's up.
I did get something done today: I finished
creating the new source catalog tables in the
postgres database and I'm ready to do some
systematics tests tomorrow.